Being a college president, district superintendent or chancellor involves countless rewards and challenges. The League has developed many publications and conferences designed to support California CEOs.
The League’s Northern and Southern CEO Conferences have combined into one statewide symposium. The CEO Symposium presents an ideal opportunity for CEOs to meet and discuss the critical issues that face California community colleges and to learn from each other. This CEO-only event provides an opportunity to discuss the most pressing policy issues our colleges face.
The CEO Leadership Academy is designed specifically to address the unique challenges and opportunities confronted by leaders of California Community Colleges while creating a professional cohort through building relationships with colleagues that will prove beneficial for years to come. Research demonstrates that districts and colleges led by CEOs with tenures closer to 10-years rather than the mean 4.6 years stated in the League’s CEO Tenure and Retention Study 2013-2014, tend to have better student outcomes and enhanced institutional stability. Professional development and support for California’s campus leaders is a critical investment in the future of our institutions.
- Save the Date for the 2018 CEO Symposium held March 2-5, 2018 at Seascape Resort, Monterey Bay. This is an annual CEO-only event.
- Save the Date for the 2018 CEO Leadership Academy held June 8-10, 2018 at Resort at Squaw Creek, Lake Tahoe.
In addition to these conferences, a Statewide CEO Meeting is held at the League's Annual Convention. This annual meeting brings together community colleges CEOs from across California to discuss the most pressing issues and opportunities in our system. This year the Statewide CEO Meeting will took place on November 16, 2017 at the San Jose Fairmont from 1:15-4:15p.m.
- Download the Meeting Agenda
The League’s CEO Leadership Development Pathway provides support to CEOs throughout their career. Program curriculum is developed and delivered by seasoned California CEOs. The Pathway consists of…
- CEO Workshop – specifically designed to onboard new CEOs for a six-month period beginning in November through June concluding at the CEO Leadership Academy.
- CEO Leadership Academy – for CEOs in their first chancellorship or presidency reviewing operations and current statewide initiatives.
- Dr. Chris McCarthy Vineyard Leadership Symposium – a seminar and retreat for CEOs to explore leadership dynamics and issues.
- CEO Symposium – offered annually for CEOs to connect and discuss current California community college initiatives.
For more information about CEO Leadership Pathways, please contact Carmen Sandoval, Director of Education Services and Leadership Development, at email@example.com or for more information about the CEO Symposium or Statewide CEO meeting, please contact Lizette Navarette, Vice President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below you will find links to publications of interest and professional development opportunities for CEOs. Listed in alphabetical order
- Advice for the New CEO
- Appointing a New Trustee to the Board
- Assessing the Performance of the CEO
- CEO Tenure and Retention Study
7th Update | 6th Update | 5th Update | 4th Update | 3rd Update | 2nd Update | 1st Update
- Board Focus
- Commonly Used Terms in Community College Administration
- Different Jobs, Different Tasks: Board and CEO Roles and Responsibilities
- Faculty Role in Decision Making: Participating Effectively in District and College Governance,
Community College League and Academic Senate
- Open and Public IV, League of California Cities
- Q and A for New CEOs
- Scenarios to Illustrate Effective Participation in District and College Governance, Community College League and Academic Senate
Videos and Online Training
The League has prepared a series of strong workforce videos to assist you in learning more about career technical education.
- Video 1: Introduction to the Strong Workforce Program for CEOs
- Video 2: More and Better CTE: Leadership Stepping Up to the Challenge
- Video 3: Expanding CTE through Creativity and Innovation – Coming Soon
- Video 4: Implementing a Regional Approach for CTE
- Video 5: The Role of Data and Accountability in Career Education
For segmented clips of the above videos, please click here.